Sunday, March 22, 2009

Live blogging the NCAA tourney

Since I'm stuck on the couch, I'll add my $.02 about today's NCAA tournament action. First up on the docket: Syracuse v. Arizona St. I picked Syracuse in this one. I think they're a stronger team. My heart is going with ASU, though. Herb Sendek was a Pitino assistant at UK and he did a great job at Miami U. He seems to have gone back to his roots a little with a more perimeter oriented offense after inexplicably getting caught up in the Princeton offense fad when he was at NC State. They've definitely got the shooters to break Boeheim's vaunted zone. Early on, looks like Syracuse can exploit some mismatches on their offensive end.


12:21 ASU is hitting their 3's. They are falling into a trap with the Syracuse zone, though. They need to get some degree of penetration.

I'm somewhat surprised at the Big 12's success thus far. I thought they were pretty overrated during the season. They've definitely performed better than I thought so far.

8:42 Looks like Herb's reading my blog on his I-phone. He's gone inside since my post :-)


Is it me, or is Devendorf a punk. Looks like he should've gone to Florida to carry on the tradition of Jason Williams and Teddy Dupay.


I'm old. I remember watching Rautins' dad play at Syracuse with Rony Seikaly.

1:40 There's the story: points in the paint. Syracuse is pushing it inside and ASU has settled for jumpers. That's exactly what SU wants.

LOVED Mark Few's comment from last night about why he didn't call a time out: "Everybody knows it's about the players. I wasn't going to call a time out and screw it up. Let the players make the plays."

Just when ASU was getting it inside, Pendergraph picks up #4. They're in trouble.

10:19 Pendergraph out with fouls. They got it within 10, but I don't see them being able to overcome this now.

6:32 James Harden singlehandedly keeping ASU alive. Now Abbott chips in with a 3. 61-57. They need to keep up the inside out approach. Syracuse needs to stay patient on their end.

Like I thought, this one's over. I'll pick up the next game (maybe) in a new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment